Sunday, October 18, 2009

Forgiveness

While we are reading within the 16th Century, and recognizing that they were people exactly like us, John Donne, 1573-1631, often best known for his "No man is an island" essay that is still taught today, was a preacher, and a poet.

A Hymn to God the Father

Wilt Thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which was my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin, through which I run,
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done,
For I have more.

Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I have won
Others to sin, and made my sin their door?
Wilt Thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When Thou hast done, Thou hast not done.
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
But swear by Thyself, that at my death Thy Son
Shall shine as he shines now, and heretofore:
And, having done that, Thou hast done:
I fear no more.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails